IN the last post we discussed some important facts about NRC, today we will know in detail what is NRC, its eligibility and guidelines.
What is NRC?
The National REGISTER OF CITIZENS includes the names of the Indian citizens living in the state of Assam.
It was prepared after the census of 1951 in India. Then NRC was updated in 2012-2016 in Assam and it includes those persons which participated in electoral polls up to 24th march 1971. The final draft was released on 30th July 2018. It exempts about 40 lakhs people.
WHOM ARE TO BE ELIGIBLE TO BE INCLUDED IN NRC?
The following persons are included in NRC
- The Persons which are included in the 1951 census
- The Persons on the basis of Electoral Rolls up to midnight 24 March 1971
- The Descendants of the persons included in the 1951 census.
- The Persons who came to Assam on or after 1 January 1966 but before 25 March 1971 and have registered themselves according to the rules made by the Central Government with the Foreigners Registration Regional Officer (FRRO) and the persons who have not been declared as illegal migrants or foreigners by the authority.
- The‘D’ voters can also apply to be included if they are declared t as non-foreigners by Foreigner Tribunal.
- The persons can apply for citizenship. If they provide anyone on the document listed above.
Three implementation of the NRC is done by the state govt by the registrar general of India, however the funds policy decisions and guidelines are provided by central govt.
NRC Update requirement
There are two requirements –
1.Person’s name in Legacy Data or any one of the admissible documents issued up to midnight of 24 March 1971 and proving linkage with that person.
2. Application Forms (family-wise) will have to be submitted for getting names included in the updated NRC
3. These Application Forms will be verified and based on the results of. The person name can be checked on the official site http://nrcassam.nic.in.
Phases of NRC updating
The phases of NRC updating are
- Publication of legacy data
- Distribution of application forms
- Publication of draft NRC
- Receipt and disposal of claims and objections
- Publication of final NRC
The debate regarding the NRC is still going on as some are in it favor while some are against it. As per latest news rajyasabha is adjourned for a day as opposition creates trouble.